Educate patiently, advocate passionately, and inspire consistently. Do what you can, where you are, with what you have, and realize if you want something new, you have to stop doing something old. ~Anonymous
What is a Medical Advocacy Consultant?
A Medical Advocacy Consultant is a person who provides dedicated guidance and help to patients and caregivers that are looking to develop self- advocacy skills, assist client with finding resources or providers for their specific needs, and receive assistance with information about accessing resources. They find creative solutions to patient barriers, and offer initiative, candid communication, and support while utilizing creative thinking skills to help their client.
A Medical Advocacy Consultant is a person that gathers and analyzes data, draws conclusions and presents findings in the form of recommendations to their clients, and educates patients about their rights within the health care system. A Medical Advocacy Consultant employs great listening skills to help find possible solutions to patient concerns and assists the patient or caregiver with a plan to bring issues to the attention of providers.
In our organization, the Consultant is a person that helps the client navigate preparing for successful appointments with their providers by developing a plan. This plan may include
- develop prepared questions/documents to assist in the focus of that particular appointment
- assist with accessing resources for various in their local community and online
- enabling the client to make more informed decisions that lead to better health results
- identify values and belief systems to assist in self-advocacy and provide support while either the client or caregivers self-navigate
- encourage effective communication with healthcare providers to obtain the best results possible and achieve outcomes that are realistically possible
- The healthcare providers are often busy and have a hard time providing the amount of information necessary during a short appointment for their patient to truly understand their care and conditions. The Consultant may do research into the client’s medical conditions and treatments to supplement the information the doctors provide, so the client and their families have a better idea of the details behind the prognosis and treatment recommendations brought up by their healthcare provider.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
How can a healthcare provider benefit from a Medical Advocacy Consultant?
In our organization, the Consultant understands that the provider may not have the time or resources to keep up on current data and reports of the newest developments for various types of care for their patient. The Consultant can help healthcare providers/medical case managers to think outside the box by researching and acquiring additional resources, studies, or reports in various formats that the provider may not have time to research or procure on their own. The Consultant assists the provider to be able to make their own informed decisions based on the potential usefulness of the procured information, or explore alternative options.
I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I could do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. ~Maya Angelou
What is the difference between a Medical Advocacy Consultant and a Doctor?
There are a LOT of differences.
Though the common goal for both the Consultant and Doctor is the well being of the patient – the Consultant does not treat, diagnose, prescribe, or conduct surgeries.
A Doctor is specially trained to diagnose, treat, and care for a patient’s well-being. A Doctor is also qualified to prescribe medications and perform minor medical procedures and minor surgeries. Essentially, Doctors care for the general health of their patients.
The Medical Advocacy Consultant provides tools and strategies for the patient or caregiver to advocate for their own general health, or that of the patient being cared for, while respecting human dignity and respecting confidentiality.
Healthy is an outfit that looks differently on everybody. ~ Anonymous
What does it cost to use the services of a Medical Advocacy Consultant?
Pricing varies based on the type of service needed and the complexity of the need. Each service will cost something different to accomplish, mostly as a function of the time it takes to accomplish it. We are always happy to discuss your specific requests with you.